Born in 1982 in a small town in the northeastern part of Germany I came to Dresden in 2000 to study Landscape Architecture. The enchantment and concern for nature and open spaces drove me to further specialize in environmental and spatial planning and science. I live with my husband and children in Dresden.
Research interest and background
Marianne Darbi is working as a researcher at the Leibniz Institute of Ecological and Regional Development (IOER) since 2007. She studied Landscape Architecture at Technische Universität Dresden with a focus on environmental and landscape planning. In her diploma thesis she dealt with “Cultural Landscape and Transboundary Cooperation”. Her research interests lie on biodiversity and landscape as well as planning instruments and steering mechanisms. Marianne Darbi is currently carrying out projects on planning and impact mitigation instruments (German Impact Mitigation Regulation, Compensation Pools and Agencies, EIA/SEA, Biodiversity Offsets) both at national and international level. Since 2010 she is doing her PhD on “Between regulation and voluntary engagement: a typology and critical analysis of the concept of Biodiversity Offsets”. She is member of the IOER working group on biodiversity and takes part in the International Association on Planning, Law and Property Rights and the Advisory Group of the Business and Biodiversity Offset Program (BBOP).
VARIOUS RESEARCH INTERESTS IN THE FIELD OF ENVIRONMENTAL, LANDSCAPE AND SPATIAL PLANNING:
- biodiversity conservation & management (CBD, National Biodiversity Strategies & Actions Plans, Millenium Ecosystem Assessment, Protected Areas)
- biodiversity compensation (environmental & biodiversity offsets, compensation approaches for impacts on biological diversity)
- German Impact Mitigation Regulation (background & implementation, current trends, pool & banking models, compensation pools & agencies)
- - landscape & cultural landscape (transboundary cultural landscapes, regional governance)
- Environmental Impact Assessment including ESIA and SEA (directives, guidelines & projects in various countries)
- sustainable land use (land consumption, urban sprawl, brownfields before greenfields)
- interaction between biodiversity & climate change / climate protection (carbon markets, carbon sink, afforestation)
- energy crops & ecosystem services
- sustainable development, participation, Agenda 21
You can email me at marianne.darbi[at]gmx.de.
Please feel free also to use the contact form or comment function.
Marianne Darbi in social networks and on the internet
You can find more detailed information on my work, research interests, projects and publications here:
Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development: http://www.ioer.de/1/ioer-overview/staff/darbi/
Science 2.0: http://www.science20.com/profile/marianne_darbi
Drehscheibe Nachhaltigkeit: http://www.netzwerk.drehscheibe-nachhaltigkeit.de/profile/MarianneDarbi
Presentations on biodiversity Offsets
Here are some presentations that I have given since 2008 in the field of biodiversity offsets and impact mitigation. Most of them are English, however some of them are German.